Sunday, June 22, 2014

Blogging our way to a NEW Healthier Lifestlye

Somewhere between kid 1, kid 2, and going back to college our sensible eating went out the window and we went right to survival mode.  We got to the point where, I was so sick of all the local fast food places that I just rather not eat than have to eat that junk again.  But what else were we suppose to do?!  How could we possibly eat healthy and continue our excessively busy lifestyle????  I reached out to a co-worker who is known for her healthy eating style who reminded me of Hungry Girl.  She is an AMAZING chef that focusses on LARGE HEALTHY portions.  

So here we go on our new healthier lifestyle.  No turning back now, because.....let's be honest.....our live's depend on it.  ;)  


Our first culinary adventure was not a stretch from our norm, a healthier mexican pizza.  Here is the official recipe and how it compares to our former fav, the Taco Bell version.

My Review:
First and foremost, WE LOVED IT! Bonus, so did the kids!  :)

 Don't be afraid of the "meatless meat crumbles".  They aren't bad at all and super easy to work with.  I found them at Kroger in their healthy living/vegetarian freezer section.  (but I've bought them from Target in the past.

I was super excited to discover an EVEN lower calorie white corn tortilla at Kroger in the Mexican section.  

We ended up substituting the taco sauce/diced tomato/taco seasoning blend with mild rotel, because in our craziness my never ending dice tomato stock....dun Dun DUN....ENDED.  lol  It actually worked out great and was probably even easier.

When baking, I suggest cooking a couple minutes less on the 2nd side and add that minute or so to the final baking time.  We found our tortillas got a little dark during the 2nd side baking (possible since we were using white corn tortillas) but our toppings didn't get super hot on the final baking stage.  

Hope you enjoy!  Let me know if you give it a try.  :)

Becca


Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment