Monday, June 23, 2014

Mac and Cheese with a Twist


The next recipe we tried was Hungry Girl's Version of mac and cheese, a kid favorite, with the added nutrition of cauliflower.  I Loved the concept as soon as a read about it.  Guilt free, yummy, comfort food...can you go wrong?  :)

Because we are phasing out some of our "not so good choice" food, I used your standard elbow noodles this time.  Thus, meaning my version was not quite as healthy.  For the same reason, I also used a standard bread crumb, but used less than half of what it called for.  I was okay with these swaps because 1. I want to get rid of the food that is already paid for.  2. Even with those swaps all the cauliflower  made this dish WAY healthier (and filling) than a fast food run.

I prepped this in the morning, covered with foil, and put it in the frig for my husband to toss in the evening when I was at class.  I would imagine you could prep it the night before and have it ready to to go in the oven after a long day at work too.  I thought the prep was pretty easy and low maintenance.   I did have my husband plan on using the full 30 minutes of baking time since it would be cold when it went into the over.

So how did the cauliflower go over?  It blended in quite nicely into the noodles.  The texture and size (after chopping) was right on the money.  If anything it added an extra taste dimension to this dish without sticking out at all.  I'm sure the kids had no idea it was even in there.

Hope you enjoy!  Let me know if it give it a try.  :)

Becca

Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment