Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Crock Pot Chicken Soup


Sundays are super hectic for us.  Mr. Daddy Hill runs the media at church and plays in the band.  Then I join him with the kids a little later.  After church is family lunch in fast forward, so I can make it to work.  This past Sunday I decided if I put something in the crock pot before I went to church I could have a nice, healthy dinner waiting when I got home for work.  :)  We tried this crock pot chicken soup.

Prep was not too bad to do before church.  Just a little chopping (onion and carrot).  I like buying chicken tenderloins, because they are cheaper, easier to deal with, and cook nicely in the crock pot. (I'm not very knowledgeable on healthy choices yet, so this might not be the BEST choice)  I just threw them in whole.  They fell about nicely while cooking and stirring.

  My other adjustments were minor and hardly worth mentioning.  I used diced tomatoes, because that is my preference.  (Stewed tomatoes creep me out....no idea why)  I also used a carrot/pea frozen vege combo, since that is what we had on had.  I added a little extra for good measure.  I didn't bother with the one bay leaf, because I didn't want to buy a bunch just for one leaf.  That may have a greater effect than I realize.  If you try it with the bay leaf, let me know.  

I liked this recipe other than the thyme was overwhelming.  It is not a seasoning I ever use, so I think about half would be plenty for us.  I also would add about double the carrots because it was the kids favorite part.  Beyond that, it was easy, convenient, tasty, and filling.
Of the recipes we have tried this is probably our least favorite, but that is only because of the seasoning.  Easy fix.  :) Don't let that stop you from giving it a try though. We have been SUPER happy with these recipes, they taste great, are filling, and have easy prep. 


 If I had any complaint about switching to finally cooking healthy instead of hitting the drive thru is that we are spending a lot more time and money at the grocery store.  But then the amount we were spending at the drive thrus is now next to nothing. (Sometimes you just have to grab a drink bigger than your head on the way to work. lol)  I think the amount we are spending will decrease as we stock up on spices and learn what new items to watch the sales for.  Since this is all new to me, I am excited just to find the items I'm looking for, let alone a good price.  That will come with practice.  :)

Let me know if try this one.  Hope you enjoy!

Becca

Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment