Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Pita Pizza Please


Pizza is a kid favorite, and culinarily nonthreatening so I thought I would give this Hungry Girl recipe a try.

I could not find "high fiber" pitas at Kroger, so I found what looked like the healthiest option available.

I've said it before but it is worth saying again, soy crumbles are worth trying.  They are not scarey.  When adding seasoning to it we have thought it works out quite well.  

 I used diced tomatoes instead of crushed and passed on the 2nd round of tomatoes on the top.  In the future I would pop the diced tomatoes in the food processor just to help cover the pita a little better, but it still worked just fine.  (diced tomatoes is a staple at my house, crushed....not so much)

The cilantro didn't do a whole lot for me.  It paired nicely with the sour cream mixture, but I'm not sure I would buy it solely for this recipe (in the name of saving money).  

I LOVED the concept of using string cheese that had been food processed as the cheese.  We used the Weight Watchers 1 point string cheese that Kroger carries, but Aldi's also has a Fit and Active version that tends to be lower in price and comparable. 

I made individual dishes of the sour cream mixture for everyone.  1. It seemed easier since the recipe is written for one serving.  2. This allowed everyone to dip their pizza which I thought 
worked nicely.

Hope you enjoy!  Let me know if you give this one a try.  :)

Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment