Monday, July 14, 2014

Comfort Meal with a Comforting Calorie Count Part 3

Hungry Girl official recipe picture

Green Bean Casserole is one of my favorites.  I have fond memories of making the simple dish with my Mom.  This recipe is not that much more complicated but leaves out some of calories.  

Prep Review and notes:
One of the only problems I have with prepping these wonderful swap recipes is hunting the ingredients in the store.  So I will give you a couple clues to make your shopping trip go smoother than mine. ;)

I nearly gave up on the 98% fat free cream of celery soup.  When I went by for a second time (to show Mr Daddy Hill that they didn't have it.) of course I found it. lol  At Kroger it was on the TOP shelf.  I'm guessing it is not a top seller so look up to see if it is hiding.

I had NO CLUE where to find water chestnuts.  I've never used them before.  Luckily Mr. Daddy Hill met me at the store after work and was able to go right to them, in the oriental cooking area.

Onion flavored soy chips- I read what I thought was every bag of chips in Kroger's "Healthy living" area.  I was ready to use sour cream and onion Popchips (which now rereading the recipe, is what she suggests) when Mr. Daddy Hill ran across some soy chips with onion flavor.  (I think they were in a white bag if that helps you, but I would suggest going with the sour cream and onion Popchips because you can enjoy those on their own to use up the left overs.  These onion chips....not so much.)

Nothing terribly notable about prep. Pretty easy to put together.  I will mention, just in case you overlook it.  This is 8 SERVINGS!  Much different than most of her recipes.  It would be no problem to cut it in half and maybe cook in a bread pan.

Taste Review:
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised.  I'll be honest I was a little sceptical.  Surprisingly I prefer canned green beans vs frozen green beans.  So that flavor kind of threw me off.  I would guess using 2 cans of green beans and 1 can of 98% fat free cream of celery would be just fine to get 4 servings.  

The questions was posed to me why cream of celery vs cream of mushroom 98% fat free.  Hungry Girl if very tast conscious as well as calorie conscious.  I would GUESS that she is not as impressed with the mushroom version or possibly the celery has more nutritional value.  Either way, it worked just fine with this recipe.

Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment