Sunday, July 13, 2014

Comfort Meal with a Comforting Calorie Count Part 2


I feel like meatloaf and mashed potatoes go hand and hand so I had to try Hungry Girl's Better for you Mashed Potato Swap.  I have heard the girls at work talk about using cauliflower in mashed potatoes and thought it sounded pretty interesting.  After using cauliflower in Hungry Girl's Baked Mac and Cheese and LOVED it, I knew this was a safe bet.

Prep Review:
I'm use to mashed potatoes made like they do in Oklahoma.....or at least how my Mom who is from that area makes them.  ;)  They have to be creamy and buttery and just when you think you have just about enough butter and milk......you should probably add just a little more for good measure.  SOOOO I ended up adding an extra tablespoon of the half and half and an extra tablespoon of margarine.  I figured we're eating mashed cauliflower an extra bit of these things was not going to kill our calorie count.  :) 

I did not end up using pepper but was pretty generous with the salt, or at least it felt that way as I'm not much of a salt person.  I would do a few shake, shake shakes, and then a taste.  I did that about 4 times and then was shocked at the amazing flavor that was produced.  (before the salt it was pretty bland)  (I think the adults added a little extra salt on our plates too.  The kids were happy with theirs.)

Taste Review:
Well, pretty much gave that away.  lol  We all loved it!  The kids (picky eater 1 and picky eater 2) had seconds and I think even thirds!  I will say though, make it how the recipe says, and then add extra ingredients as your tastes prefer.  I think mashed potatoes are very subjective.

Hope you enjoy!  Let us know what you think!  :)


Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment