Monday, February 7, 2011

Words are Powerful



While shopping this weekend something happened that I just can't shake. I feel like I am suppose to share it, so that others may have the same realization that I had.

If you don't know I gave birth to our daughter via c-section about 10 weeks ago. I suppose being self conscious about what how one looks is just something that comes with being a new Mom (again). However, I allowed my own insecurities to effect another person, which I'm having a hard time forgiving myself for.

While standing in the checkout line I caught the eyes of another women. She smiles and says I like your shirt. In the moment I couldn't even remember what I was wearing but thought to myself, "How nice. Maybe I am starting to look a little better in my clothes again" I polity said, "thank you."

What she said next is what took me by surprise. With kindness she asked "Are you going to have a baby?" I was appalled, enraged, and down right shocked! My mouth went before consulting my brain.

With as much attitude as a hormonal 16 year old girl, I shapely replied, Well actually, no I am not. I HAD a baby." I was ready to follow that with, "That really isn't something you should be asking people." (which may sound fine as you read it, but in my head it was not going to be said kindly.)

Before I could get those words out, as if she never said anything and I never spoke sharply, she asked me, "What's your name?" I felt about two inches tall. At that moment I realized that the lady standing before me was not being rude but likely had some kind of mental slowness. (or whatever the politically correct term is these days.)

I answered her, slightly annoyed bruised ego and all "Rebecca."
She replied, "that's a nice name." Then she asked inquisitively, what's your middle name."
This time I answered with a smile, "Ruth. What's your name?" I needed to salvage this human interaction that had gone south so fast.

Even though I was offended by her words that gave me no right to lash out at her. Every time we open our mouths we have the power to build a person up or to tear them down. I want to make the conscious decision to use my words to empower those around me. Because the old saying, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me," is SO wrong. It should be, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will destroy my soul."
Compliments cost nothing to give, but can give a person more pride than a trophy. I think as a whole we are all too stingy with compliments. Even if we are on the tightest budget we can give compliments out like we are rich, because when we are filled with happiness that is when we are truly blessed.

If you made it all the way to the end of my story(congratulations), I hope it blessed your heart and will leave an impression on your mind that will last with you. May God Bless you and in turn may you bless those around you with the kind of kindness that only God can show.

Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment