Friday, July 4, 2014

Crock Pot French Toast


I love Crock Pot Recipes!  They give you something to look forward to after a long day when you are too tired to even think about making dinner.  The concept is awesome!  So when I wanted to have something waiting for my family when I had to go to class this Crock Pot French Toast Recipe seemed perfect.

Prep Review:
Nothing really exciting to report here.  I went exactly by the recipe as it was using a different combination of ingredients than I'm familiar with, so I figured I would give her the benefit of the doubt.  She hasn't steered me wrong yet.  (PS if you have never bought ricotta....(I never had), it is in the same neighborhood as the cottage cheese in similar containers.)  

Prep was not bad at all.  I used an apple slicer to do the apples then cut the slices in half.  The OCD in me couldn't tear the bread. lol  The pieces I got tearing the first piece where a mess. SO I just stacked four pieces on top of each other (the amount used for each layer) and cut them. Way faster and way cuter. lol

Final Product Review:
If you have tried many crock pot recipes you will know that they aren't always very pretty...I mean, can you blame them?  You throw all the ingredients in one pot and poof you have dinner when you get home.  This recipe is no exception to this.  

The kids were turned off by the look and texture (I think created by the ricotta).  They both gave it a try with much hesitation.  Zoey said she liked it, but didn't each much.  Ethan wanted nothing to do with it.

I personally thought it tasted pretty okay, it wasn't terrible.  But unfortunately, it doesn't hold a candle to my usual go to french toast recipe.  Certainly, not half as healthy...Maybe I will see if I can do some swaps on this original and see what I come up with.  

All and all it wasn't bad and a light dusting of powdered sugar helped beautify and slightly sweeten it up.  I would not make this for company.  It just does not have that company appeal presentation.  But it is easy to throw together, so in a pinch it's would be okay, but honestly this will be the first tested recipe that I won't put in the regular rotation.  

Hey, can't win them all.  ;)


Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment