Thursday, July 17, 2014

Dehydrated Kale *Guest Blogger!*





We just recently ordered a Dehydrator online from Target.  This is something that I (MrDaddyHill) have been wanting for a long time and we finally decided to get one!  I mainly wanted one to make jerky, but I figured I would try other things too!  In my traversing of the interwebs, I came across a Kale Chips review on YouTube.  I thought it would be a cool thing to try so I would check it out if the price was right when we were at the grocery...  Well, I was surprised to see the sign say 1.29 in front of the kale, and it was a bunch of leaves the size of my head!  So we put them in the cart and low and behold they were half off when we went through the line!  I could only hope they tasted good once made...

The main thing about preparing them is to rinse them thoroughly before cutting.  I shook them vigorously over the sink after their rinse.  Once you feel they are dry you will then need to cute the stem out of the leaves, I started out using a knife and folding the leaf in half to cut, but I then found it was easier to pull chip size pieces (think huge chips) off of the stems then putting them into a bowl.  The next step is to again dry them as well as you can before seasoning...  I did this by putting them on kitchen towels laid out in one layer then gently pressing them until I felt they were dry.  To season them I spritzed them with Pam (I would have prefered olive oil spray but Pam worked in a pinch) then sprinkled Kosher salt on them liberally making sure every leaf had salt.  They are now prepped!

The entire batch filled all four trays of my dehydrator, lay them out in a single layer filling the entire tray minus the middle.  Mine is the "cheapo" dehydrator so it only has an on off option.  I turned it on then let them stay in there for 3 hours.  Your kale chips are ready to taste!

Our thoughts?  They are great!  Not potato chips, but something tasty to eat!  Experiment with the flavorings, I want to try some with cyan pepper and maybe some lemon pepper...  I think these are a great option to have as a quick snack without the guilt!  MrsMommyHill wanted to point out that the initial "taste" might make you think they aren't good, but keep eating them and you will like them more!  We did find that the chips without any seasoning were not as good as those with.  Stay tuned for more guest spots as I dehydrate our way to a healthier us!

-MrDaddyHill

Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment